Articles by tag "data"
New York has enacted the SHEILD Act to better protect residents of their private information against data breaches. The Act takes effect March 21st, 2020. Luckily, our VP of Compliance covers all the necessary topics in regards to this law. This month, we cover everything you need to know about this law and how to stay in compliance with it!
This edition we answer:
- What does SHIELD stand for?
- What do I need to do to comply?
- What is considered "Personal Information"?
- What are "reasonable" data security requirements?
- Would the SHIELD Act include any exceptions for small businesses?
- What are the proposed penalties for noncompliance?
- How can DE help me stay in compliance?
Marriott International, a large American hotel chain, recently has had one of the largest breaches in history. This breach may have been prevented with a proper implementation of a cybersecurity system. Cybersecurity defenses protect against major attacks, ensuring no data loss. Implementing a cybersecurity system isn’t free, but the price of handling an attack is much greater.